Asian Women Cancer Group was setup by a small group of breast cancer survivors in October 2005. Late Pushpa Martin, Bharti Patel and Amarjit Panesar were ladies who had been through breast cancer experience. They setup an informal meeting in their living room where they could meet, share and discuss their experience of cancer and provide support to one another. As the incidence of other cancers grew, the group was developed into a support group for all cancers by Damyanti Patel, who at the time was a Macmillan Cancer Support co-ordinator with experience of setting up support groups. The group has now grown to over 100 members.
The majority of our members are breast cancer survivors but we also have women who have bone cancer, throat cancer, endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer and many others. As cancer becomes more common, the research and treatment, information and support options have also greatly improved. It is a difficult time for the individual as well as for family and friends.
We welcome ladies from the Asian community who have been affected by cancer to our group. So come along and immerse yourself into the group where we offer love, support, information and laughter!
Asian Women’s Cancer Group aims to:
- Raise awareness in the Asian community about cancer
- Provide support for Asian women affected by cancer
- Share experiences and concerns in a safe environment
- Arrange guest speakers to talk about cancer related topics
- Arrange outings, social gatherings and events
- Organise and participate in fundraising events
- Work with cancer charities and other health professionals